Re: [FWDLK] Since we're talking about firing order...

In my 55-56 Shop Manual it shows the firing order as 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 and the left bank of cylinders as being the 1-3-5-7 side which would be drivers side front cylinder.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 10:34 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Since we're talking about firing order...

I changed the Cap & Rotor on my 1955 260" "Power Pack" engine, and checked point dwell (32°, remember, Dual Points), and thought that I knew all there was about replacing the wires with new. OOPS!  Not so fast, smart aleck!
When I looked at the old cap, just to confirm the 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 firing order, I was stumped.  I came up with a strange combination of numbers.  So I took #1 plug out, and turned the engine until the piston came up, and checked the timing mark and got lucky, it was right there.  Then I checked the rotor, and it was pointing to #1 Spark plug postion on the cap, or what I had already guessed should be #1.  Great so far, but the order, according to the old cap, was (I forget exactly), very unusual.  So I uncovered the extra engine, which had not been touched in years, and the position and firing order were exactly the same.

Question is: can anyone confirm the correct firing order for the 1955 260ci engine, and confirm which cylinder (driver's or passenger side) is number one?

Mike Higgins
1955 Belvedere Sport Coupe

b/t/w.... is Robert Bishop or Josh Ackerman still on the list?