Re: [FWDLK] 1958 Dodge Production

CKD production was actually  included in both body totals and serial
numbers.  CKD units shipped overseas had US or Canadian serial numbers
(depending upon which country they came from).    After 1960 Chrysler began
using the former DeSoto plant on Wyoming Avenue for CKD production so it
became easier to determine how many CKD units were built.  Ford and GM built
CKD units in Canada during the 1970's and 1980's and were reported as such
by the MVMA.   Ward's did not show the CKD units in their Canadian
production tables, but Automotive News did.   You could tell which ones were
CKD as production was in increments of 48. (ie, 48, 96, 144. 192, etc.)

As to discrepancies between body totals and serial numbers, that usually is
due to transposing numbers, forgetting some body styles, or errors in
counting, especially in the days before computers.  Once computers were used
to compile the needed information on building a car (broadcast sheets, etc.)
it became a simple matter to run the computer tapes through a program to
compile the make, series, engine and body style tallies.

Also, most published body style production lists do not record chassis
production, although after 1954 those numbers were usually less than the
fingers on one hand.   And as to forgetting body styles, no published list
shows a 1949 Dodge Coronet long-wheelbase 4-door sedan,  They were built
(there is one a wrecking yard in Alberta)   And given that serial number
totals show 193,794 cars built while the published body style lists show
190,037 built - a difference of 757 cars,  I suspect production of the 1949
Dodge LWB sedan came to about 757 units.

Actually, I have found 1958 serial number and body style production numders
do not balance for any Chrysler product.   All previous years either balance
or come within a few digits of each other.

Bill
Vancouver, BC