From: eastern sierra Adj Services [mailto:esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 12:34 PM
To: John M. Zastrow; L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: CLUNKY Tires

John/List, John's description of "clunking" suspension sound, upon
turning movements, very-well describes my experiences with my car's
former (smaller: P225/75R14) tires.

After installing the Diamondback correct-size
P235/75R14 tires, the 'clunk' went away, and that noise-withdrawl, along
with better cornering response/handling, leaves me to conclude that the
apparently STIFFER sidewalls, on the DB's
prevented the  sidewalls from  "rolling-under" the wheels (as the
former tires, especially noticible on SLOW turns, apparently did-do).

Now, precisely 'what' that "clunk" sound/feel consisted-of, I do not
know, but @ the time, it 'seemed' like a suspension component was
'loose'

In fact, I bought Firm Feels' heavy-duty front-strut bushings, thinking
that the struts
might be 'moving/popping' , at the front cross member.

No regrets in buying/installing those guys, especially when you compare
their appearance, to the wimpy 'bullet' type O.E.M.-style opieces, but
their presence did not eliminate the 'clunk'.

Buying the (stiffer-walled) DB's DID remove the
"clunk"

So, it ain't tire SIZE, that matters (IMH-experience), but, rather, the
tire(s) itself..

Neil Vedder