[FWDLK] trunk floor pan for 61 Chrysler

I need the center trunk pan for my 61 Newport. My trunk extensions appear usable but the section above the gas tank is largely gone. The braces are there and the frame looks solid. John Hertog put a pan from a 64 Chrysler in his 61 and I'd like to hear how it fits. He also told me that a reproduction pan costs 650.00. That's a bit out of the price range. Does anyone know of an alternative? How evil is it to weld in flat sheet metal? Should I bead roll flat sheet metal?
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you,
 Larry Gardinier