Re: [FWDLK] cost of rebuilding a 331 hemi

Re: [FWDLK] cost of rebuilding a 331 hemi

I haven't done one lately, but costs keep going up.
The prices you quote could be fine, depending on the amount
of work required and the new parts to be used, disassembly
and hot tank to degrease the parts for inspection.

It all depends on the services that you need.  If it is very worn,
you may need an overbore to correct taper and wear and reach the
next "size"  where new size pistons are used. That means buying
new pistons, rings, bearings, and assembly with new gaskets.
The rods might need to be resized.

Cam bearings and a new timing chain and sprockets are next.

If a bearing went bad, you probably need the crank "turned" to the
next size, and bearings to match that, to get rid of any disturbed
surfaces...  the valve train in the heads will need refurbished, and
posibly the rocker shafts and always the valve seals. Probably
valves and their seats will need to be ground, if not replaced.

Carburetor, generator, power steering pump ?  Brakes ?
Where do you want to stop ?  How much can you afford ?
You can cut corners here and there, and reuse some old stuff.
Just be aware of the ramifications, and the engine life expected
after the rebuild. If you want it to be like new, expect new parts.

Tom S                                               southern Ohio
                                                       1955 and 1957 Coronets