Re: [FWDLK] Unsticking a stuck engine?

Even with the heads off, you need to break the bond in there.

The least destructive way is to use a penetrant.  I've heard of WD40, Liquid
Wrench, PB Blaster, Kroil, and even Coke used to free up a stuck motor.

The last one I did was a Pontiac that had 1977 stickers on it in 1996 when I
popped it apart.  I used Marvel Mystery Oil and let it sit in all the bores
I could get some into, covered it up and forgot it for a couple weeks.
Then I came back, slid a length of 2x4 into each piston and whacked the
other end a few times with a hammer.

I put a wrench on the balancer bolt and lo and behold, it turned.  Which
made getting the trans off a heck of a lot easier.

I've pulled apart other stuck Pontiacs and it looks like if the motor is in
a car and covered up, if you are careful in freeing it up, you might be able
to get away with a hone job and new rings.

But I also took apart one that had sat with no hood on it and two of the
intake valves were so rotted, one of the heads had fallen off and the other
one the stem was so thin you could bend it in your bare hands.   I could see
where cylinder walls had cracks in them and stuff - the motor was junk.

The only way to be sure of what you have is to take it apart -

Bill K.