Re: [FWDLK] Unsticking a stuck engine?

I wish I could give credit where it's due -- I'm not the author of
the following, but I saved it a couple of years ago when I came
across it somewhere on the web.  It may help.

Ed Petrus

1. Blow dirt away from around the plugs. Remove the spark plugs,
clean and gap them. Squirt penetrating oil or a light oil into each
cylinder so that it is aimed at the center of the engine. It will run
down around the rings and provide lubrication for dry rings and
possibly slightly rusty walls. Wait a day (and do the other stuff on
the list) and repeat. Try to rotate the engine with the starter
without the plugs. Check for a spark at the plug wires. (If you use
too much oil and the plugs are in, you can get a hydraulic lock. Very
BAD.) Reinstall the plugs. You may also want to remove the valve
covers and pour oil over the valves and springs.

2. Change the engine oil if it looks dirty and filter. If the oil is
clean, this can wait until after start up.

3. Back-flush and fill the cooling system with water. If it doesn't
leak after start up, flush again and use 50% anti-freeze.

4. Lubricate the distributor and generator oil cups. Fill the power
steering reservoir.

5. Clean, file, and gap the ignition points. Clean and lubricate the
distributor cam. Check that the mechanical advance mechanism works.

6. Drain any gas in the gas tank. Remove and clean if dirty or rusty
inside. Clean the fuel filter. Flush the fuel line. Add fresh fuel.
Make sure the carb throttle is not sticky and the accelerator pump is
not stuck.

7. Make sure the water pump is not frozen in place.

8. Clean the battery cables and terminals.

9. Try to put a couple of ounces of gas into the carb through the
float vent pipes. This will supply fuel until the pump brings more
up.

10. Set the choke, pour a 1/2 ounce of fuel into the carb throat, and
try to start it.

11. Expect problems with the water pump, fuel pump, generator, carb,
hoses, belts, rear main seal, and transmission seals. Lifters may be
noisy for a minute or less until they pump up.

12. Don't drive it until your rebuild the brakes! If you bleed the
brakes, they may work OK to move it around the yard.

13. When it starts, expect large clouds of smoke from the oil
squirted into the cylinders. If it runs OK, let it run for a half
hour to warm up and burn off the oil in the cylinders and reseat the
rings. Change the oil and filter again. The plugs may be somewhat
fouled from the oil, so you may want to clean or replace them again.