From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Sutherland
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:26 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FWDLK] More Seat Belt Ideas

I’ve installed a four-point harness from Andover Restraints on all my drivers (’58 Dodge coupe, sport sedan, and ’58 Plymouth coupe).  Each of them had lap belts installed at some point in their history.  I didn’t want to drill extra holes in the floor pan, so I designed a bar which I installed on top of the floor pan behind the driver’s seat directly above where the existing lap belt holes were (I can send the design by separate e-mail, off-list).  The shoulder belts anchor to the top holes in the bar.  Although the seat still pivots forward, its range of motion is greatly restricted when I am driving and strapped into the harness.  The four-point harness gives me some sense of security (real or perceived) from crashing into the steering wheel / column.  The disadvantages of the four-point restraint are reduced mobility: it’s easy to look over my right shoulder when changing lanes, but difficult to look over my left shoulder (because I can’t lift my right shoulder off the seat); this is particularly noticeable when there is a right-hand turn with a super short merge lane.  The fender mirrors are too small and inaccessible to be very effective.  In addition, rear passenger foot room is restricted, particularly in the coupes – but still useable.  All-in-all, I think that the advantages of the harness outweigh the disadvantages and I have been very satisfied.

BTW – just large steel washers underneath.  Oh, and the cost of the restraint was about $80, the fabrication of the seatbelt bar was about $50.

-Mike