Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

Grease jobs were only $1.50 and there were in excess of 40 zerks on
Chryslers of the 40's.  When the '55 Chev's came out with only five (?)
fittings we grease monkeys thought we'd died and gone to heaven, but
realized things they were a changin'.  I have a lube chart for our 1955
Chrysler 300 that shows 23 fittings on the front suspension and steering
components.  I always felt that the manufacturers could have moved faster,
but it was economically risky to get too far ahead of the curve--whether it
was an Airflow or a Tucker.

Today's cars are much more energy efficient due to more precise control of
fuel with electronic fuel injection--and this was driven by the need to
reduce emissions.  If all of the fuel is burnt, emissions are lower and more
energy is available for moving the car.  There have been lots of other
improvements in lubricants, bearings, aerodynamics that have helped improve
mpg.

Space age technology and gasoline prices rising by a factor of 10 allowed
and drove the progress--along with governmental mandates.

I recall our 1950 Studebaker Champion, 6-cylinder with overdrive--maybe
2700# would get 21 mpg on the road.  Our 4WD hemi Durango will approach that
if I can keep a light touch on the pedal (no fun & hard to resist).

We love our 1955 Chrysler 300, but the Durango or our Wrangler is the ride
of choice these last 13 days with temperatures over 100.

It has been most interesting to this mechanical engineer to observe, utilize
and generally appreciate the improvements in automobiles over the years.
But, as interesting as the new Chrysler 300's are, they have created nowhere
near the public reaction as did America's first 300 HP (GASP!) stock
automobile/muscle car.  The memory of that reaction 51 years ago continues
to sell Chrysler 300's.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA