Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

I'd guarantee that wouldn't have happened 10 or even 5 years ago. But they're learning!
Ray

On Jul 29, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Jan & Roger van Hoy wrote:

Also, it isn't just a foreign thing. I have a late model brand F truck [couldn't afford a Dodge] and the dealer service is as Ray describes. When it was four months old, we went on vacation, threw a serpentine belt in a small Eastern Oregon town at 3:00 PM on Saturday afternoon. Called the F roadside assistance [India!] and they sent a tow truck from the dealer. Along with came a chilled SUV for us, the dealer called a parts guy and a service guy into work and they replaced the belt for free. [BTW, belts aren't under warranty.]

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Jones" <hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

Having worked in non-domestic new car dealerships all my career, I can tell you that one good reason for the 3K oil changes is to instill routine maintenance on car owners. American dealers are front thinking, all they care about is selling cars. The Service Shop in the back is a required nuisance to them. So, as a result, people would buy their new whatever and the next time the dealer would see it would be on the hook, for warranty service.

The Foreign Dealers were about all services, and maintenance was an integral part of the experience. As a result, I have many times done warranty repairs on cars with up to 80K on them, several years and 40+K miles after the warranty ran out. The District Service Manager would see that the owner had done all his maintenance (his part) and it shouldn't have failed (their part). Sometime they would pay it all, sometimes the Mfg. would pay for the parts and the owner the labor. The owner would be happy and come back to buy another.

Yea, I know, Daddy took the old bucket down to the local gas station on Saturdays for his oil change, but it's not the same by far. Do you know any Gas Stations with Service Bays that are working? We looked for things going wrong and really looked for warranty repairs, as they paid well.

Ask me at a Meet about the Foreign Car Philosophy, and I'll maybe give you a clue as to why Our Car Companies are slowly slipping away in the market place.

Another point of view, Ray

Ray Jones, Mena, AR in the Ouachita Mountains in western Arkansas
Y'all com'on down and we'll sit ona porch and sip a few.