Re: [FWDLK] Power Steering box needed

Rich,

These show up on eBay every once and a while. The system is the same in
55/56 Dodge and Plymouth. Manual and automatic transmission styles are
different.

Personally, I don't feel the need for Power Steering in a 56 Dodge. The
steering wheel is large and the steering box gear ratio is also large, so
you have good leverage for everything over 2 mph. The old style PS systems
had zero road feel.

You will need:
1. The entire steering column with PS gearbox. The Pitman arm may also be
different.
2. A generator with the PS pump attached to the back.
3. 2 grove pulleys for the crank and water pump. A PS generator will already
have a 2 grove pulley.
4. Hoses and belts.
5. The generator will be relocated to the LH side of the V8 engine, just
above the head. There is a cast boss on both the intake manifold and water
pump housing that the generator mounting bracket is bolted to. One or both
bosses are usually not drilled and threaded, so you will need to do this
too.
6. The PS column will need new seals. The one in my parts car leaked at the
upper seal, ran up the column tube, and onto the carpet. Must have been at
least 3 quarts of ATF fluid soaked in. I sold it.
7. Optional: 55/56 Dodge horn cap with "Full Time Power Steering" written on
it.
8. Optional: the king pins were heavier duty on PS cars.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500