From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List [mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marv Raguse
Sent: Sunday, July 30, 2006 8:49 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

In a message dated 7/30/2006 10:52:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, peerless@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

One of the major downfalls to long engine life was the introduction of the
paper element air filter. If you recall, from the mid 1950's back, almost
all internal combustion engines had oil bath air cleaners on them (even our
lawn mower did).

I beg to differ with Larry's opinion and base that on our military approach to filtering...For example on our military tanks with large mass flow rates such as turbines, filtering elements are used as are pre cleaners using centrifugal air separators.  No oil baths are used even in desert maximum dust environments. At least in my experience. I believe the improved elements today do a great job. Even with Oil bath it required the air flow to change direction and dump the large particles into the oil. After a point the surface was saturated and more dirt made the turn into the inlet. If paper elements didn't work, the 150,000 to 200,000 + engine would not exist and they frequently do today.   Other opinions please?

Marv