Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

In a message dated 7/30/2006 11:49:36 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, MJRAGUSE@xxxxxxx writes:
If paper elements didn't work, the 150,000 to 200,000 + engine would not exist and they frequently do today.   Other opinions please?
I HEARTILY  agree with Marv.  One of the jobs I had while working at the Chrysler fuel Systems Lab in the 1953-1961 era was testing air cleaners for efficiency.  This was during the transition from oil bath, to foam, to paper filter media.

We (The automobile industry) used Arizona desert dust ground to specific particle sizes for test material.  The material was fed into the air cleaner while we varied the airflow and measured restriction until a failure occured.

Oil bath filters were 65-75% efficient, and would eat prodigious amounts of dust and keep on going.  They were, however, difficult and messy to clean and service. Airflow ability remained high and lasted for a very long time.

The oil-wetted foam filters were only about 60% efficient, and cheaper to make.  Airflow varied dramatically because of the small surface area of the filter.  They were nothing more than a "tent" over the carburetor.  Unfortunately, the more dust removed from the air, the lower their ability to flow air, and if not frequently serviced, they would "collapse" and dump gobs of muck into the carburetor.  They were nothing more than a disaster waiting to happen.

Pleated paper filters, however, started out life with a filter efficiency of over 98%, and early in service life actually increased to over 99% when the dust filled some of the pores.  They would then slowly become more restrictive until they eventually needed replacement.  They were much more sturdy than foam ones and did not catastrophically fail.  since the carburetors used at the time were internally vented, the fuel mixtures did not get any richer.  The flow rates would just reduce and eventually power would be lost.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan