Re: [FWDLK] Lubricate THIS....

In a message dated 7/31/2006 11:38:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, esierraadj@xxxxxxxxx writes:

     Joe, why don't you give us youre opinion of K&N oiled 'paper(?)' ?
I've got a K&N in my car, now, & I don't really know how/when to clean,
&/or re-oil it.

I "appears" to be, still, clean (maybe I should DRIVE it, more (!)  )
but, what does it look like (all gunked-up, I presume) when it IS dirty,
& what do I DO, to clean it? Wash it down "from inside-OUT" with lacquer
thinner??
Neil,

I have no personal experience with the K&N line of filters.  I was quoting information I learned 40 years ago when I worked at Chrysler, regarding test results gained at that time, on filter materials in use then.

There is one rule of thumb, though:  In a given size of air cleaner,, to increase airflow, you must reduce restriction.  The only way I know to do that is to increase the size of pores in the filter element, which reduces the amount of dirt it will stop.  I have noticed demonstrators in parts stores showing that K&N flows more air, but I haven't seen any empirical data showing filter efficiency.

As far as cleaning, I guess the best way would be to follow K&N's instructions.  I just went to their official web site and did a little reading.  They give rather specific methods to clean and re-oil their cleaner elements, using their ($11.35) cleaning kits.  It looked as though it would take an hour or so to do.

They gave a complete description of the method they use to measure RESTRICTION and AIRFLOW.  They quote chapter and verse about how much more air their filters will flow.  They note that they test for filter EFFICIENCY in accordance with ISO 5011 procedures.  I don't see, however, any actual efficiency test results on their site.  I did "Google" The ISO 5011 procedure and found another web site which referenced tests done on K&N filters for a Corvette .  It said that K&N claimed 97% filter efficiency, providing that you used K&N oil.

K&N also lists horsepower gains over stock air cleaners, engine-by-engine.  My 230 hp 5.4 liter Ford Triton would make 13 more horsepower at around 4500 RPM using their $303 kit, and they list NO increase using their drop-in direct replacement ($41) filter.

Since I'm not a drag racer, it just seems cheaper and simpler to buy an OEM filter once in a while and go on down the road.  I happened to notice, yesterday, that my truck turns about 1700-1800 rpm at 60 mph, part throttle.  I think that K&M just isn't worth the trouble, to me!

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan