[FWDLK] if it were EASY.......

...we'd all be driving 'Belly-Button'  ("everybody's got one"!) cars, &
'restoring' them, with our checkbooks, and catalogs.

As it is, we are VERY lucky, to have the likes of Gary Goers, & SMS, &
others, now, which can accept phone/fax orders, and provide us with
otherwise unobtainable like-new parts and accessories.

That said, there are still many pieces which can only be had via
concerted searching.

The fact that Ebay prices are sometimes 'ridiculously' high only serves
to prove that demand vastly outweighs supply.

The more cars you've got, the less resources you can devote to any one
project, so, it is important  that you can afford to maintain all your
cars, or, at least, protect them, until you can work on them, or sell
them to someone who can afford to take care of them.

Anyway, John, and everybody else: are we 'crazy' to love/hate our
relationships with these
Forwardlookers, or, does our relationships CAUSE us to go/become crazy,
in our zeal, to find that one 'best/perfect' part (like Dave Homstad's
NOS 57 Dodge Horn-ring??--OR, my own  mint/NOS 58 D500 emblem?)

Everyone probably has a unique part, or 4, that he's hoarding, for his
retirement.

Re: re-plating; the polishing/copper/nickle -plating (which is what you
are really seeing, as the chrome is transparent, right?) usually
destroys and/or fills fine-detail, in a part , such as 'in'  the
eye-slit,  in Dodge Lancer-helmets, etc etc...so that a re-chromed part
is typically as obvious, as most people's facial cosmetic surgery.

btw,  NOS bumper-plating has  quite noticibly  a semi-matte finish, and
may have apparent flaws in  its finish, as opposed to the pristine
mirror-deep finish that you see, on show cars.

My advise is: take "it" slowly, enjoy the ride, & keep-on seeking-out
the best/cheapest parts you can find, on a car that you will live with
for many years.

Neil Vedder