Re: [FWDLK] 1955 Dodge Pick-em-ups

For a brief period in the 1950's Chrysler in the U.S. went back to a first
and second series model years for its trucks.

The Dodge truck B3 series went into production in December, 1950, as a 1951
model.   It became a 1952 model in October, 1951.   In October,. 1952,
Chrysler announced that all new B3 series Dodhge trucks delivered new to a
purchased on or after October 15, 1952. may, for registration purposes, be
considered a 1953 model.    The 1952 models can easily be identified as
there was a definite serial number beginning for each truck line.   The 1953
B3 series, though, had no such definite beginning as any new B3 truck in
dealer stock on or after October 15, 1952, would "quality" as a 1953 model.
Even if the truck was built in January 1952, as long as the truck was new
and unsold as of October 15, 1952.

The new B4 series Dodge truck went into production in November, 1952, as the
"real" 1953 Dodge truck.   Production of the B4 series ended in August,
1953, and the new  C1 series began in October, 1953, as a 1954 model.  The
C1 series had a one-piece curved winshield while the B3 and B4 series had a
two-puece windshield with the wipers parking parallel to the cowl.

But, Chrysler announced that all new C1 series Dodge trucks delivered new to
a purchaser on or after September 24, 1954. may, for registration purposes,
be considered a 1955 model.   Again, no definitive serial number breaks.  It
all depended upon when the truck was first registered.

The new 1955 C3 series Dodge trucks, complete with wraparouind windshield,
appeared in April, 1955.  Witth that late a start, Chrysler continued the C3
model as a first-series 1956 model with the usual announcement - all new C3
series Dodhge trucks delivered new to a purchaser on or after Octrober 7,
1955, may, for registration purposes, be considered a 1956 model.

The true 1956 model C3 Dodge trucks appeared a little later with their
12-volt electrics.  Chrysler of Canada referred to the "true" 1956 Dodge
trucks as model C4.

The arrival of the "K" series in the fall of 1956 as a 1957 model marked the
beginning of a period of true model years with no carry-overs.   (At least
for a while)   The "Sweptside" with rear fenders from the Dodge 2-door
station wagon arrived in May 1957 in the U.S.

The "L" series for 1958 introduced  a full-width grille and hood along with
quad headlights, although duals were still offered.    And Chrysler Canada
introduced the Sweptside in both Dodge and Fargo versions.

The C1 series Dodge truck offered, in the U.S., the V8 models :
C1-B8 - ½-ton (VT334) :241-cid
C1-C8 - 3/4-ton (VT336) : 241-cid
C1-D8 - 1 ton (VT338) : 241-cid
C1-G8 - 1½ ton (VTX342) : 241-cid
C1-H8 - 2 ton (VT344) : 241-cid
C1-J8 - 2½ ton (VT346) : 241-cid
C1-K8 - 2½ ton (VT346) :241-cid
C1-R8 - 2-3/4 ton (VT348) : 331-cid
C1-T8 - 3 ton (VT350) : 331-cid
C1-V8 - 3½ ton (VTX350) :  331-cid

The U.S. C3 series Dodge truck V8 engine line-up :
C3-B8 - ½-ton (VT334) :259-cid
C3-C8 - 3/4-ton (VT336) : 259-cid
C3-D8 - 1 ton (VT338) : 259-cid
C3-G8 - 1½ ton (VTX342) : 259-cid
C3-H8 - 2 ton (VT344) : 259-cid
C3-J8 - 2½ ton (VT346) : 259-cid
C3-K8 - 2½ ton (VT346) :269-cid
C3-R8 - 2-3/4 ton (VT348) : 331-cid
C3-T8 - 3 ton (VT350) : 331-cid
C3-V8 - 3½ ton (VTX350) :  331-cid

The 241 and 331 engines were hemi units, but the 259 and 269 were poly.

Powerflite with column shift arrived with the C-3 models in 1955.   Chrysler
no longer offered Fluid Drive and Truck-o-Matic, the truck version of
Chrysler's 4-speed semi-automatic.

The "K" series 1957 models introduced pushbuttons and the 3-speed LoadFlite,
the truck version of Torqueflite, and Powerflite was dropped from the truck
optionis list.   No levers on the dash for truck transmissions until the
A-100 line in the 1960's, though.

Bill
Vancouver, BC