Re: [FWDLK] Dual rear speaker option for '57-8

Re: [FWDLK] Dual rear speaker option for '57-8

Well, I have a little bit of FIRST HAND information on this subject
(pull up a chair...)

Way back in 'ought'- 81, there had been  a 1957 New Yorker 4 door
hardtop, right here in Bishop, but sitting in a local wrecking yard ;
all-tan, with the light brownish interior.

Completely-complete, with minimal body damage (sort of like a
Pick-a-Parts, drop-off car, nowadays).

I bought my car sight-unseen, in 10/80, in the Chicago area, and first
laid eyes on him, in 6/81, after he had been 'snuck' into Toledo, where
I grew up & where my parents  still lived.
They rented-out a 'private'  garage, for it, til I could come-get it.

He was transported from Toledo, OH,( where Jeeps are made, on a Jeep
new-car transporter for $800.00; a deal my insurance broker dad
arranged, with Jeep!)....to the Jeep delivery-terminal, in Long Beach,
CA .

I drove the car to the 81 Detroit WPC National Meet, drove to Miami U.,
& finally dropped it off at the Toledo Jeep loading dock.

Was planning on driving it across country, but was talked into
'transporting' it, due to his having been dead-stored for a few years.

Flew back to Bishop, then, drove to Long Beach, w/wifey, & car-avaned
back home.

What's all this gotta do w/the 57 NY'er???

That early fall, when I re-checked on the status of the NY'er (which
"HAD BEEN" planned to "participate" (read: be sacrificed)  in that
year's County Fair's DEMOLITION DERBY, I found that it had been SOLD,to
a farmer, whose ranch is about 25 miles north of here.

Called him, & learned that he was only interested in the 392, which he
was going to put into a tractor!

Asked him if I could 'grab' a "few" parts off it, & he said :"Sure--take
all you want [for-FREE]"

So, I high-tailed-it over there, & he cut-out the power seat troughs,
for me!

>From that car, I liberated: complete operative power seat mechanism,
variable windshield wipers, day/nite mirror, Town/Country radio,
miscellaneous trim parts/pieces (like desert-pure potmetal) AND the :

rear window defroster system, with two speaker surrounds/grilles (one of
which was a dummy, with air intake aperature, with blower-control.

Interestingly, altho different cars may have differing speaker 'grille'
patterns, the CHRY has the same 'style', as the Dodge.

BTW, some years ago, I also scored a complete defroster/dual-"speaker"
set-up, but without the blower-switch. This 'set' is 'rough', and needs
bead-blasting/polishing, in order to be restored. PM me if you might be
interested in my 'second' outfit.

The car's remains (carcass) was later sold to a guy, in Las Vegas area
(but I got the GOOD stuff, off of it!)

Neil Vedder