Re: [FWDLK] Old Paint

That sounds like correct original black from what I have always seen. Personally have never seen an original car with paint used for black areas.

It is tar based product and probably the same stuff as used on radiators. All of my 49 50 and 55's have it used on the inner fender panels, frame and radiators of course. go to you local radiator shop and if they use the correct stuff pick some up from them to do repairs. ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Homstad" <dhomstad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 12:08 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Old Paint

My unrestored 56 Dodge has the firewall painted the same as the middle
section of the body. The front fenders, inner fenders, and core support are
all painted separately before assembly. The undersides of the fenders are
the same color as the outside, but dead flat. The inner fenders are black on
both sides, but are not painted. The material looks and feels like a tar
based coating, but thin like a paint coating. It is soft and easily
scratched, but will not chip like paint. My guess is it doesn't chip from
stones and may dampen sounds slightly, so that is why it was used there. It
comes off with just a swipe of a rag dampened with lacquer thinner. As one
would expect, tar has little shine to it. Semi-flat black was a close match.
The core support looks the same.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500