Re: [FWDLK] 200030593274 eBay

The 8.75 carriers are interchangeable from '57 forward many years.

Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 3:15 PM
Subject: Re: 200030593274 eBay

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 1:12 PM, Wayne Graefen wrote:
>
>> For many years I have thought Chrysler's first limited slip was the
>> '58 Sure Grip after a little testing in some '57 Imperials and the a
>> very few 300Cs and Adventurers in '57 when it didn't have a special
>> name.
>> I also thought Packard was first in the industry with their limited
>> slip in 1955.
>> Now, just last night a fellow was telling me he had two '54 New
>> Yorkers and BOTH were limited slip and then this morning I see this on
>> eBay.
>> Input?
>> Wayne

Some years ago I hauled a complete rear axle assembly I pulled out from
under a 57 NewYorker 4 door to a repair place. I myself removed it from
the car I junked in the early 70's
It languished for years buried somewhere in the garage.  When one of the
boys and I re-discovered it, it turned out to be a limited slip unit.
Imagine my suprize!!

Well, the shop owner understood what I wanted to use this in, and knew
before he opened it up that it was a limited slip,  But the work didn't
get done as soon as I expected, he needed me to revisit the shop before
he completed the work.  Turns out the limited slip part of the axle was
dated 1970!!  the gears were marked and ID'ed as a much newer unit then
the rest of the axle housing and other parts.

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy