[FWDLK] My last post on oill

I was on a Mercedes Benz list for 8 years when I had those old Benzes and money to waste.  One topic that was belabored had to do with the best oil.  The second most belabored discussion was using topsiders to vacuum out the oil as opposed to draining from the crankcase.  After several trials, they were able to prove that the same amount of oil could be vacuumed out thru the dip stick tube as drained out thru the crankcase.

Anyway, what evolved over time is that Mobile One synthetic was probably the best to use.  One guy on the list, a PhD in biomechanical stuff is a diesel expert who owns about 7 MBs.  He spent lots of time dialoging Mobile One and other engineers on the subject.  Some of his old cars had 400K on the original engine.  There was a lot of dialog on that list about engines that burned oil which stopped after some months of use of Mobile One syn.  No one reported oil leaks like we used to hear about.

My next door neighbor runs an oil distribution company.  Combining daily travel mileage of 240 miles for work for the family of 3, their vehicles are high mileage.  His Chevy truck has synthetic everything and has over 300K on the speedo with no wrenching to the drive train to date.  He changes engine oil every 10K miles.

I bought an eXmark ZTR mower fairly cheap and was able to fix everything myself.  The engine was going thru a lot of oil on one bank.  I finally switched it to Mobile One syn and after several months, the oil burning and plug fouling stopped.  I attribute this to a stuck ring that finally freed up because of the syn oil.

Mercedes and Porsche install Mobile One in their cars at the factory now.  No more break it in on dino oil and then switch to syn.

I wanted to buy Mobile One thru my neighbor but he said it was cheaper at Wal-Mart as they are the highest volume seller of the product.

Tom Taylor

55 Dodge