[FWDLK] Fw: 1957 Radiators

Hi Forwardlookers,

A couple of weeks ago the 300 Club Intl listserver group briefly discussed a change in the heat exchanger width within the bottom tank of the 300C and 300D radiators.  I requested feedback as to what some of them have in their cars but got very minimal response.   I'd like to widen the request to all y'all.  The four-fold importance of this is in the last paragraph.

From that small sample this can be surmised:  Torqueflite cars for '57 started out with a wide heat exchanger (12.75" inches between in/out fittings).  During '57 production engineers felt this gave too much cooling to the transmission fluid and a smaller (approx. 9.75") heat exchanger was employed.  This took place sometime between April and July production.  From July on all '57s built and all '58s appear to have used the smaller heat exchanger.

If I can get some further input from several 1957 owners, I can narrow that down further.   I need owners of 300C, NYer, Imperial and Fireflight (lesser models have air cooled torqe converters) to send me the seven digit part number stamped in their radiator and am looking particularly for date code responses from " D7 " which is April of '57 to " G7 " which is July of '57.

If you have an earlier production radiator which is NOT the 12.75" spacing or a later production radiator which is NOT the 9.75" spacing I'd like to hear about that also.

Why is this important?  Four reasons:  1. Bringing your attention to date codes being meaningful in engineering terms,  2. Authenticity for your restoration,  3. When ordering reproduction trans cooling lines in the aftermarket only the wider spacing is made,  4. Perhaps most importantly there is a probable direct tie in between performance and longevity of the early '57 torqueflites insofar as inadequate fluid temperature affected them.

All replies direct to me, not to the list please.  I will post poll results later on.

Thanks,
Wayne Graefen
300C Model Year Advisor to the Chrysler 300 Club Intl.