To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2007 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] radial tires and lost hubcaps

Here's why I will never purchase Coker tires again:

I bought a set of five Coker wide whitewall radials for my 1957 Dodge in
September, 1997.

Six thousand miles later, in May 1999, my mechanic asked me if I had
retreads on the car -- and pointed to tread separation on all four tires.
Coker tried to claim that incorrect tire pressure was the cause (32 PSI
instead of 35).  The fact that the never-used spare had the same tread
separation convinced them to replace all five tires under warranty. Between dismounting, mounting and rebalancing, as well as the tread wear allowance,
the 'free' replacements cost nearly $250.

Nine thousand miles later, in July 2002, the left rear tire developed a
leak, and the steel belt started shifting around inside the tire. I assumed I ran over a nail, and replaced the tire at my own expense. Fifteen hundred miles later, in September 2002, the right front tire self-destructed on the highway. The steel belt had come loose and broken right through the tread.
The tire had literally rotted from the inside out.

That was enough.  I sure liked the appearance of white whitewalls, but I
wasn't going to sacrifice my life for the Coker's good looks. I had the car towed to the nearest tire dealer, and bought four standard 14-inch Firestone
radials, right off the rack.  Those tires cost $60 each, compared to $150
each for the Cokers. More than four years and thirty thousand miles later, those bargain-basement Firestones are still going strong. And I'm alive to
tell the story.

John Williams
1957 Dodge Custom Royal