Re: [FWDLK] white walls

'Funny', you should mention the creation, of "wider"white walls.

A few years ago, @ the B-J, I encountered a guy, who was grinding-down
white walls, to create a wider-white-wall.

I bought a set of tires that he was 'doing' , and can report the
following:

1) to DO this project, the SHOP (not "you") needs to  have a new set of
tires which have a
RECESSED whitewall section; most tires have RAISED whitewall sections,
which, by definition, are not candidates for The Procedure.

Then: you gotta find a LARGE diameter 14" tire; at least 225/75R14,
which are NOT easy to find.

225/75R14's (I discovered) are STILL too-small, to approximate the
correct 8x14" bias ply-size, that Diamondback & Coker provide, with
their www radials.

2) What the grind-down process does, is cut into the black 'band', that
overlays a portion of white-wall material. For whatever reason, the
cutting-into of the black 'band' somehow allows
the tire oils to leach out of the tire, discoloring the outer area of
the white wall.

The www width, that I received was 2" ; not the 2 1/4" which is correct,
for our cars.

So, was I happy, or satisfied, with that experience?

Did I also mention that the too-small sized tires ALSO had too-soft
sidewalls, so that the tires tended to roll-under the wheel, upon
cornering?

Go buy some Diamondbacks, for around $750.00.

They're worth it.

Neil Vedder