[FWDLK] Fw: [FWDLK] Ply engines

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:54 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Ply engines

Fury Jim, Cuda Bob, FLL...

Yes, I am still here.  I wrote the two Mopar Muscle Magazine articles, Sept. 2001 and Oct. 2001 issues on the Poly 318 build-up.  I bored a 1962 Poly 318 block .090" and used a Mopar Performance 4" stroker crank to create a 402 cubic inch Poly.  The peak numbers I put in the article were 405HP @ 5600rpm and 442 Torque @ 4400rpm, which are correct; however, these HP/Torque numbers were without any tuning, extremely lean 17 A/F ratio numbers, and a severe exhaust restriction in my custom headers (collector collapsed in half for #1 & #2 cylinders) just to clear the dyno/starter obstruction.
I was in a hurry to meet the article deadline and did not "tune" the Poly to its peak; approximately 430HP and 450 Torque.

I used a off the shelf 290/.492 Nielson Hydraulic Cam, 10.1 to 1 compression, Weiand single four intake...

The Poly heads were ported & polished to a modest 211/150 cfm intake/exhaust @ .500" lift.

Even with the uncorrected maladies outlined above, the Poly had a very high/flat HP/Torque curve and blew away a bigger cam'd, higher compression, better header'd, Edelbrock heads, and Air Gap intake 360 motor that was dyno'd after mine.
The "untuned" Poly made over 400ft.lbs. of torque to 5200rpm and still pulled 397HP @ 6000rpm;
from 3700rpm - 4600rpm average torque was 436ft. lbs. and from 4400rpm - 6000rpm average HP was 391.

The Poly 318 obviously has great power potential and makes more HP/Torque with less compression and head flow than a LA motor because of its superior head design; BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) for a Poly 318 with restrictive "log style" exhaust manifolds is approx. 164 PSI.

We now have new performance camshafts and TTI headers available for Poly 318; Weiand has since DC'd their Poly intake but we have plans in the works to hopefully provide Poly intake manifold options in the future.

Many LA parts interchange with the Poly 318 (*slight differences with the 57-61 extended crankshaft flange engines);
distributor, *crank, rods, bearings, timing chain, *timing chain cover, oil pan, water pump, *oil pump, lifters, pushrods...

Let me know if I can help anyone with their Poly 277, 301, 303, 318, 326 rebuild; free info/data, suggestions, parts...I can also supply FP-31 camshaft profiles or custom grind any profile you may need.

Gary Pavlovich