[FWDLK] Let there be light. Bullseye!

R&D on 6-Volt halogen conversions has led to articles in WPC News and Brute
Force Magazine plus a vendor of kits.  Additionally, there is a short squib
at the website noted below.  The squib reads as noted below and applies to
our 1955 Chrysler 300?s as well as to old Plymouths.  Lighting is one of the
many facets of automotive engineering that have improved significantly in
the last 75 years.

The valid point was made that it would be inconsistent with preservation
values to modify a bullseye headlight with two good filaments.  I have one
old bullseye with one bad filament, but could use another failed one for the
conversion.  Let me know off line if you have a 6-Volt bullseye AutoLite
headlamp with at least one bad filament that you would part with.  The lens
should be in good shape and that is a lot to ask for.  Anyone ever try
polishing the lens of a headlight with windshield polishing materials and
tools?

Thanks to all for prompt and thorough responses.

C-300?ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA

55 Watt Quartz halogen bulbs (Reference-old Plymouths, poor little orphans.
Perhaps captain Kirk will bring them back.)

There are kits for installing 6v quartz-halogen bulbs rated at 55 Watts into
old bulb and reflector systems. This will bring the raw light output up to
modern standards. The reflector needs to be modified for the bulb to fit.
And the stock electrical system cannot support the 25 amp load these lamps
would draw without significant modifications: The 20 amp ammeter must be
bypassed for the lighting circuit. The headlight switch is also under
designed for this load. Probably the best bet would be to install relays
close to the lamps and to separately fuse the power feed from the battery to
these relays.
The stock generator will not deliver more than 15 Amps on a continuous
basis, so it would need to be replaced with a higher output unit. Probably a
single wire 6 volt alternator would be needed.
These modifications cannot be easily hidden and so will detract from the
original appearance of the car once the hood is opened.