Re: [FWDLK] You load 40 LBS; whaddaya get?

Re: [FWDLK] You load 40 LBS; whaddaya get?

Neil,

The maximum safe pressure for every tire is printed on the sidewall. I think
radials are less prone to low or high pressure wear patterns than bias
tires. Generally, more pressure stiffens the entire tire so it has less side
flex on corners for better handling. Too much pressure makes the ride harsh
and reduces the radial tire's ability to flex into contact with the road.
The best pressure also depends on the tire size vs. vehicle weight. I have
also experienced huge differences in handling between different brands of
tires of the same size and pressure.

Some people like to run at the maximum pressure, but I think that is usually
too high for best performance. And the preferred pressure for original bias
tires is usually not enough for radials. My guess is 35 - 40 psi would be a
good pressure range for our cars.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodges