[FWDLK] That's LIFE ....(7/01/57)

Just got thru reading my newly-received issue of Life magazine, from
July 1, 1957, which features  'coverage'  on the Buried Plymouth.

Interestingly, Tulsa's "Tulsarama"  celebration
got snubbed (not even specifically named), as
being a part of the larger Okie-City based "semicentennial exposition"
(all in lower-case
letters), which featured a visit, to OK-city
by those un-friendly-enemies, the Russkies, who showed up, to display
their own:
"....furs, handicrafts, cameras, caviar, perfumes, rugs, and crystal
ware ."

As a 'back-drop', to that kid-glove cold-warfare,
there is a facing FULL-page photo (the image of which I hadn't
previously seen) of the front-on view, of The Car, on its hoisted-skid,
about to be lowered into its subterranean
garage, for the next 50 years.

"A car is buried in a "time capsule" in Tulsa's
contribution to the state-wide semicentennial
celebration. Car [THEY DON'T EVEN I.D. IT]
will remain until exhumed for a projected state centennial in 2007
[imagine THAT--it's now
"NOW"; 50 years later] . Buried with it, in vacuum-packed mothballing,
are guesses at city's population in 50 years. The best guesser--or his
heirs--will win a [!!!!] car. "

I'll send a jay-peg pic, to the List, manana, of the Life magazine
photo.

The "garage's" lid appears to be about two feet below ground level.

The 'garage' has an ad posted on it:"New Process wet--mix concrete".
And, partially readable :" True Gun-[nite]....something"

In that issue is a page-ad, for a  Gleem toothpaste contest, where the
1st prize is $15K [ in 1957-money; probably $175-200K, now] and the
second prize is/are TWENTY-FIVE  Plymouth Custom Surburban (4-door)
station wagons. Remember Gleem toothpaste?

I was an "Ipana" boy, & liked  their unique palm-like dispensor.  Also,
I was "Wild-Root", and not Brylcreem, & Hires Root beer, and not
what-ever-it-was....and : YANKEES (sorry, Ron Waters, et al; Yeah:
Mickey Mantle, baby!)

Neil Vedder