Re: [FWDLK] property taxes/old cars

So, it's ok to overcharge someone who has more money to spend on a vehicle than the rest of us? I was under the mistaken assumption that everyone who has equal access to the public road system should pay an equal share in it's maintenance costs. The folks driving bigger vehicles are already paying a bigger share anyway at the pump via fuel taxes.

    When I started doing this old car thing I was just a teenager.  We all know how teenage minds think ;-D  It was the mid 70's and finned cars were getting scarcer all the time.  I naively and ideolistically thought that if "the public" was shown how cool these cars were, they might be inclined to take better care of them and hang on to them, thereby keeping them on the road  -  my ultimate goal was to see them out there driving.

    The years have dulled my sense of crusading, ... or maybe it is just reality sinking in ???  ;-D

    Either way, I long ago accepted that the vast majority of Americans are lazy, take the path of least resistance, have short memory, and more pointedly, are not interested in all the work and fuss it takes to keep an old car in top shape like us enthusiasts.  Admit it, these things are expensive and VERY time consuming if you want to keep them nice !  Stuff like flash advertising and what Paris Hilton is doing are far more pressing issues to the average American and media than a lot of out of pocket expense, dirt, grime, and banged up knuckles.  You can fight it.  I thought I was fighting it for a long time.  But the reality is most people just don't care.  They have other priorities.  That is reality.  I hate reality !  ;-D

    Another reality is that (for whatever reasons), vehicle sales and licensing fees / taxes are tied to the wholesale / retail sliding scale of depreciation.  They have been since I became aware of such things, and as far as I know, always have been.  You have a new $75K H2 in the drive, yer gonna pay your local rate in taxes on that "established" value.  You finish your restoration of a 57 Dodge you bought for $2500 and sunk 40K into, you are going to pay taxes / fees on something closer the $2500 "established" value because the high falootin' scale of depreciation speaks in golden tongue that this is all that car is worth.  Don't let the powers that be discover Barrett-Jackson, or we are all gonna be in a world of hurt !  ;-D

    Personally, I am very happy flying "under the radar" of the politicos who scheme for ways to get in our pockets to help pay for gov't. projects.  I don't mind funding my share of some of it, but many of these expenditures are nothing I want to spend MY money on !  I am more than happy the H2 owner pays cubic dollars to drive that pig around.  That is my ideolistic thinking showing through.  Whether or not the owner driver pays more for fuel because of higher consumption is an irrelevent argument, because we all pay the same rate of tax per gallon purchased.  The mass gas user chooses to consume on a higher level and insuch, chooses to pay for that much more fuel.

    I could go all crazy and suggest we car enthusiasts get PAID to drive our museum pieces around as part of the education process  -  (file it under American History).  But that ain't gonna happen !  :-(   So, I settle for that dastardly "reality" being the glue that binds.  *sigh*  It is what it is.  I am grateful I can even own my cars.  Many can't.

I used to own a truck. I paid my state a use fee based on ton/miles covered. Seems only fair for a larger vehicle to pay a bigger share of the road costs since, in theory anyway, a larger vehicle should cause more wear to the road surface. Could be a good way to encourage people to buy lighter, more fuel efficient cars.

    Isn't that an odd comment on a board devoted towards preservation of older, heavier cars ?  ;-D  Of course, we should all take possible steps to improve fuel economy when restoring our cars.  And the reality is, we are not even a speck on the radar in the overall scope of cars driving on the roads today.  There it is, ... that reality thing again !  ;-D

    Brent