Re: [FWDLK] dual points or electronic?

On 26 Apr 2007 at 19:38, eastern sierra Adj Services wrote:

> I've got an electronic 'system', 15+ years ago; works flawlessly; should
> I buy/carry a replacement "box", to be 'safe'?????

You could if it would make you "feel better", I carried a complete "change
back", [all the original components in a box] in the trunk for around 10 years
after I went full electronic.
I would suggest having a tested spare either with you or at home. By "tested"
I mean a unit you've ran for some time, a year or two would be fine, dated for ID
purposes and stored in a friendly enviroment. [box]  ;-)

> Also, I'm "running" a ballast resistor (finally found a "correct-style"
> one; NOS, on Ebay); it's connected to the coil, but, with the "HiPo"
> coil I've got,  what (IF any) is the net-EFFECT  OF  the  coil I've got
> (came with the E.I. system I installed) ON  the ignition system, GIVEN,
> that the system appears to be 'happy', WITH the ballast resistor
> installed?

Ballast resistors are a subject onto themselves, I've been planning to write
a little article about coils and ballast interactions.
Quick and dirty a ballast resistors' purpose is to reduce the current flowing
through the coil circuit. Most ballasts do this by being a lower resistance when
cold, [for better starting] and a higher resistance when hot for longer coil, points life.

There's lots of other situations and factors but to answer your question, if you car
starts and runs properly, your fine, leave things alone. If on the other hand you have
problems, hard starting, poor mileage, high speed miss, anything ignition related you'll
 need to match coil and ballast.

> In other words (in addition to, possibly 'carrying' a spare E.I. box) ,
> should I get a higher output coil, and/or disconnect the ballast
> resistor connection, to the coil?
>
> Or, is ignorance "bliss"?????

Bliss is good.

I should add for a "much used driver" I would consider installing a CDI system, cost v fuel
savings is a factor, with performance an added bonus.

> Neil Vedder

CudaBob '65 - Angels Camp, Calif
CudaBob@xxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.goldrush.com/~rhuish/