Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF "MISS BELVEDERE".

Sorry ? I hit ?send? long before I was finished with my thoughts.  The rest was:

The ?57 Plymouth was chosen as a symbol of the era by the Tulsarama committee way back when, in an attempt to have people look back at 1957, Tulsa and Oklahoma.  It was an age so optimistic that they honestly thought we would not have gasoline and oil 50 years in the future -- and they wanted to share their time, their city, and their lives with us.

That was Miss Belvedere?s destiny, and it has been fulfilled in every way, by a car martyred to, ravaged by, and forever frozen in, time.

The world DID look back at time and Tulsa that day, and I?m still proud of what they saw in that car, rust and all.  It?s not the car?s fault that the vault leaked, and her current condition only reinforces the fleeting nature of time and man?s creations ? and that?s what a time capsule is truly about.  The perfect condition of the boiler tank capsule versus the sad condition of the Plymouth just made each other more remarkable and wonderful by comparison.

The people of Tulsa were not embarrassed either ? rather they were (and still are) extremely PROUD of that car ? proud of the simple fact that they put a car in a time capsule 50 years ago, and dug it up later.  What a unique and wonderful thing to try!  For a day the world all looked at their little town in Oklahoma, and they saw great joy. They, like we, celebrated the EVENT, not the outcome.  It was true human emotions, reminiscences, and celebration.

I know you were a believer that it was a ?showbiz? event (reference your ?SHOW BUSINESS VS THE REAL WORLD? email of June 9th), but after having met, worked with, and consoled crying event organizers upon finding a vault filled with water, I can tell you only that they did their absolute damnedest to put on a good show for the folks who came to see it, but it was in no way ?showbiz?.  This was about Tulsa, the people of Tulsa, and a look back at a simpler time.  The thought of swapping in a ?ringer car? in place of an honest piece of their history would have been total blasphemy to them.

No, I?m not embarrassed, not at all.  And no, I honestly don?t think people will be faux-rusting their cars to match Miss Belvedere.

For those of us who were there, and those of us who were there in spirit, I think they?d all agree with the above.  I know there are folks like your cousin who probably will never ?get it? about why we feel this way, but hey, some of us do.  Some of us just do.

-Dave