[FWDLK] Seattle Tulsarama Travelers Back Home

[FWDLK] Seattle Tulsarama Travelers Back Home

My wife, son (13) and I returned today from our week-long trip from Seattle to Tulsarama. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Seriously, you could not have made this up! Except that, as Dave Stragand related so eloquently, the people of Tulsa did make it up,
some 50 years ago. Times change. And we're more hooked on oil than ever.

All in all, the Tulsarama committee did a fantastic job. The city and surrounding area is obviously economically depressed. Pawn shops and bail bonds storefronts abound. Given what they had to work with, they worked wonders to leverage the uniqueness of the event. The only major guffaw was the Boyd Coddington affair. Wrong guy, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. But everything else, the crane lift, the unveiling at the convention center, the indoor and
outdoor car shows...all were pretty cool.

We wore our black t-shirts from New Zealand, emblazoned on the back with "Tulsa or Bust." People kept asking us, "Where are they selling those shirts?" (great quality on the shirts, Glenn!) We met FWDlookers from NZ and Sweden, not to mention various US states. And it seemed like no matter where you went in the Tulsa area, there'd be a fifties Plymouth parked in a hotel or
restaurant lot. Probably more than I'll ever see again in my lifetime.

We even came away with an actual piece of the car. About an hour after the unveiling, we were perusing the cars on display in the indoor car show. A Tulsa sheriff was kinda wandering around, talking to the occasional person. At one point in our conversation, he reached into his pocket and gave my son a piece of broken glass from the driver's side windwing of the Belvedere. He said, "It
was just going to get swept up and thrown away, so I picked up some of it."

I'll post some photos later.

Dan, Sam and Carolyn Davids
Woodinville, WA