[FWDLK] Slightly Off-Topic Safe Driving Reminder

[FWDLK] Slightly Off-Topic Safe Driving Reminder

Subject: Burma Shave Signs

Too bad they're not still around to entertain, and warn our new young
drivers.

      For those who never saw any of the BurmaShave signs, here is a
quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's. Before there were
interstates, when everyone drove the old 2 lane roads, BurmaShave signs
would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields.

They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100
feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4 line couplet...... and the
obligatory 5th sign advertising BurmaShave, a popular shaving cream.

      Here are more of the actual signs:

      DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW
      OUT SO FAR
      IT MAY GO HOME
      IN ANOTHER CAR.
      BURMASHAVE

      TRAINS DON'T WANDER
      ALL OVER THE MAP
      'CAUSE NOBODY SITS
      IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP
      BurmaShave

      SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH
      BY MISTAKE
      SHE THOUGHT IT WAS
      HER HUSBAND JAKE
      BurmaShave

      DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD
      TO GAIN A MINUTE
      YOU NEED YOUR HEAD
      YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT
      Burma Shave

      DROVE TOO LONG
      DRIVER SNOOZING
      WHAT HAPPENED NEXT
      IS NOT AMUSING
      BurmaShave

      BROTHER SPEEDER
      LET'S REHEARSE
      ALL TOGETHER
      GOOD MORNING, NURSE
      BurmaShave

      CAUTIOUS RIDER
      TO HER RECKLESS DEAR
      LET'S HAVE LESS BULL
      AND MORE STEER
      BurmaShave

      SPEED WAS HIGH
      WEATHER WAS NOT
      TIRES WERE THIN
      X MARKS THE SPOT
      BurmaShave

      THE MIDNIGHT RIDE
      OF PAUL FOR BEER
      LED TO A WARMER
      HEMISPHERE
      BurmaShave

      AROUND THE CURVE
      LICKETY-SPLIT
      BEAUTIFUL CAR
      WASN'T IT?
      Burma Shave

      NO MATTER THE PRICE
      NO MATTER HOW NEW
      THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE
      IN THE CAR IS YOU
      BurmaShave

      A GUY WHO DRIVES
      A CAR WIDE OPEN
      IS NOT THINKIN'
      HE'S JUST HOPIN'
      BurmaShave

      AT INTERSECTIONS
      LOOK EACH WAY
      A HARP SOUNDS NICE
      BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY
      BurmaShave

      BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL
      EYES ON THE ROAD
      THAT'S THE SKILLFUL
      DRIVER'S CODE
      BurmaShave

      THE ONE WHO DRIVES
      WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING
      DEPENDS ON YOU
      TO DO HIS THINKING
      BurmaShave

      CAR IN DITCH
      DRIVER IN TREE
      THE MOON WAS FULL
      AND SO WAS HE.
      Burma Shave

      PASSING SCHOOL ZONE
      TAKE IT SLOW
      LET OUR LITTLE
      SHAVERS GROW
      BurmaShave

      Do these bring back any old memories?
      If not, you're merely a baby.
      If they do - then you're as old as dirt....
      LIKE ME!

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you
> meet is
> fighting some kind of battle."

See what's free at AOL.com.