Re: [FWDLK] Ms Belvie's got CANCER?

Ya got me confused. If rust forms a surface barrier and stops, how do floors, fenders and doors rust away. All we should have to fix on our old cars is a little surface rust. Rust is not a living organism, it is a fire. A very slow one, but a fire none the less. And left alone, it will continue to burn. The chemical reaction is Oxidation, which is what the fire in your fireplace is, just slower. As long as the oxygen and metal are there, it continues. And gets worse. There are steels that have treatments or alloys in them that are supposed to rust and form a skin (modern bridges), scratch it and it re-skins. But cars ain't thataway.

And yes, it is encapsulated, inside all the panels, water has laid for years. Now, out in the fresh air, with oxygen present, the rust will continue. Look at the Titanic. Very little Oxygen down there if any, but she has very few years left before she will be little more than a stain on the bottom. They say she will be gone in our lifetime.
Ray