Re: [FWDLK] '57 Dodge Super D-500

Title: '57 Dodge Super D-500

----- Original Message -----

From:  Jim Hoekendijk

I am trying to rearrange the engine compartment - which was screwed up by the prior owner?s mechanic ? and therefore would very much like to know/see how things were originally.

Little things. Like should the rear air filter canister be hanging left or right? I think right, but I have seen quite some hanging the other way around. Not only Dodges, but DeSoto?s and Chryslers too.

Also, I?ve seen different colors for Dodge air filter canisters. Gold, like Chrysler?s 300C, black and red. Of course, with any of the cars I?ve seen it?s hard to tell how original it is. Things could be changed or rearranged any time and by any prior owner or mechanic, for whatever (valid) reason. And because the ?57 Super D500 is so rare, it?s very hard to find any information.

Any info and/or pictures will be highly appreciated!

    Take none of this as gospel.  As you say, these are so infrequently seen, that I recognize what I have seen might not have been exactly original and enough years are getting behind me ......

    It seems to me the Dodge DQ air cleaners went to red in 1960.  Prior to that, they were P&A black.  A dust cake original 59 my friend found had very weathered black air cleaners in the back seat.  A very pristine original 60 Matador crossram car he also found had very nice original orangish-red air cleaners still in place.

    I believe the air cleaners hung with the front one to the driver's side, the rear to the passenger's side in 57, just like the DeSoto.  I have a vague recollection of seeing a Dodge, but have seen many DeSotos and if memory serves, the layout was the same.  BTW - DeSoto air cleaners were also black, but had the elongated baffle body in 57.

    B.