Re: [FWDLK] Ms Belvie's got CANCER?

Hello All,
Just wanted to point one this out-
When our cars 'rust out' it is generally because the rust has attacked BOTH sides of a given piece of metal.
So-
Rust does form a protective barrier on one side, but it also does it on the other. Take a piece of metal that is only a few thousands of inch think to begin with and rust away both side=rust out. I have cut off many a piece of metal that was rusty on both sides and still had a VERY thin piece of shiney metal inside, that was really the only thing holding it togather. I'm sure most of us should have observed this.
Now- to address two other points-
The titanic is not 'rusting'. As someone pointed out, there is very, very little oxygen at the bottom. What is happening to it is that it is literally being eaten! By bacteria that consume the iron. Thier waste product is what you see forming 'rust-sicles' on the outside of the hull. And yes, within our lifetimes they will completely consume all the remaining iron in the ship. This is why you see wood planks, cloth material, leather suitcases, paper and other fragile things being brought up from the bottom in perfect (relatively) condition. Why do I know this? The Titanic Exhibit was here in Cincinnati. Very cool if you get a chance to see it. They even brought up an entire lifeboat davit!
Second-
Rust is a form of electrolysis. It's called a Galvanic Reaction. Goggle it if you want more details, but basically, the iron is broken down by a TINY electric current that is generated when Oxygen and water come in contact with it. The iron is liberated from the alloy and falls out as rust. The remaining alloy goes with it, but is generally untouched. I remember seeing an electronic rustproofing company years ago. They claimed by putting an exact amount of current into the body all the time, you would cancel out the electricity being generated by corrosion and stop it. Did it work- well they are out of business. I think that it would speed it up, not slow it down.
But- no matter how it happens-
Rust is Car Cancer- It will kill any car that it strikes...unless we eradicate it.

Just my pennies,
Charles.