[FWDLK] Deck Erection.....in ALL positions

[FWDLK] Deck Erection.....in ALL positions

Glenn Barratt PM'ed me, to ask me upon what reference I based my
statement  that a PROPERLY working deck lid  (nyah, nyah, nyah) would
hold any partially-opened  position
in which  an operator would  place  it.

>From the 57 Dodge Service Manual : " All Dodge [dunno about PLY's
though] cars have a balanced deck lid [ IN THEORY ] , made possible by a
torsion bar hinge mechanism. Lifting the deck lid is accomplished with a
finger tip--the weight of the heavy lid is counter-balanced in all
positions by the spring tension of the two torsion bars.

As the deck lid is raised [NOT whanged- upward ] , the twisting action
of the bars against the hinges causes the bars to twist, exerting a
torsional spring resistance that balances [!!]  the lid.

WHEN LID HAS BEEN ADJUSTED CORRECTLY,  LID SHOULD [ahem] HOLD ANY
POSITION WHEN RELEASED [emphasis-added] .

So THERE, you smug so-and-so's , with your deck lids that just go
UP,and stay up,  whenever you want them to.

They don't actually perform like they're supposed to do!

At least, I got to watch MY deck lid perform correctly, for an hour, til
I closed the lid, on the newly-installed NOS T/bars!

The very next day: experienced the heartbreak Limp Deck Syndrome, all
over again!

Neil Vedder