Re: [FWDLK] Deck Erection.....in ALL positions

Re: [FWDLK] Deck Erection.....in ALL positions

Hey, Ron: "BENDING" a spring-steel torsion bar????

There IS a 57 Dodge Technical Service Bulletin (D-17-A, of 3/15/57) on
this subject ; which is a pisser, as my car was BUILT on 3/28, so, it
would have been nice if the factory woulda begun FIXING the limp decks,
by that time, of issuing that TSB!

Actually, D-17-A  refers to prior TSB D-17, of 11/26/56 (so, the
heartbreak of Limp Deck Syndrome WAS encountered, early-on, in the 57
MY!

D-17 talks about what Roger VanHoy referred to, but does NOT discuss any
lubrication of the
"deck lid hinge torsion bar retainer cup" , but, rather, the possibility
that the WELD, of the
DLHTBRC, to the hinge,  may have "broken loose and allowed the cup to
turn,( if-so:) it is impossible to adjust the torsion bar for proper
action".

The TSB tells the dealership's Service Department to remove "the
hinge...  [which one? both of them, individually?]...and check the weld
on the back of the hinge"---if the weld is broken, reposition the cup &
re-weld the cup in place.

I've exmined the appearance of the DLHTBRC, and it LOOKS ok----but, I'm
thinking that I should put the wife in the trunk, with a flashlight
(more room in there, for her, you see) and have her check-out the
operation/movement of the
DLHTBRC, to see if it/they look(s) their moving, when the trunk is
closed/moved.

Getting back to Ron's reference, it would appear that the re-welding of
the DLHTBRC might not have been the be-all /cure-all, universal-fix, as
TSB  D-17-A would have the Service Department , now : " ...it is
suggested that the end of the  torsion bar, which fits into the hinge
retainer cup, be "reformed" [ OH YEAH?--HOW; in a vise?; it's
spring-steel, right? certainly not with "heat"??? ] .... about 3/8"
increased-bend, at its tip-end. This will tend to draw the hinge arm in
when raising or lowering the deck lid."

When I installed the NOS bars, I didn't think, to try to bend their
ends, inward--I had just thought that the Liump Deck Syndrome was due to
a material failure of the T/ bars metalugy
and that the NOS bars should have fixed the deficiency.

II should still have Horrie's OEM bars, in my shed----I'm thinking that,
after Knormie gets out of the trunk , after checking the operation of
the DLHTBRC (what a girl!) , that I might try to have a metal-shop try
to "reform" the ends of the  OEM bars, and then, paint them & RE-install
them!!!

---Oh, Norma, Honnneyyy......

Neil Vedder.