Re: [FWDLK] A THOUGHT TO PONDER....

Since several of us have been chiming in on this subject, here is my 2 cents worth:

I worked in engineering these cars.  At the time, we frequently had an opportunity to have input on how they were designed, and what materials went into them.  Many times it was not what was best to be used for a particular purpose, but what would last for a particular period of time at a reasonable cost.  We knew that they wouldn't last forever, so we aimed for a reasonable service life.

Even the people that bought brand-new cars felt no compunction to not improve them if they knew something better was available.

So, I do not feel that there is particularly anything sacred about them.  I always liked the looks of the '57-'58-'59 cars, so when one came along that I could have, I got it, and put it into the best condition that I could without "breaking the bank".  I wish I could have gotten something a little more desirable (C300, or coupe, or convertible) but the Lord blessed me with a plain Jane 4dr sedan '57 Saratoga, and a rusty '59 parts car.

The body is all original parts in the original color, but I cheated, it is a clearcoat paint job.  The seats are all new materials, in a conservative pattern, but far from original in design.  My wife made the headlining out of modern materials.  I made the door panels from naugahyde I got at the local material shop.

Tires? oversize radials.  Engine and transmission are 383 RB, I figured it would be easier to find parts, and it's slightly larger.  3/4 Cam makes it lope a little at idle, and the sewer pipe exhaust system makes a little rumble so I feel like a hot-rodder.

If you look closely, you will see an AM/FM stereo with tape deck fitted nicely to the original dash mount.  (If you look REALLY close, you will note that it says "Ford" on it.)  Carpet is from Kmart.

I believe I have less than $13,000 in it, including transport from California to Michigan, And doubt that it would sell for anything near that on the market.  All this stuff doesn't matter in the least!  Most of the people that see it are younger than it is, and they don't know the difference anyway.  All they know is that it is a nice-looking older car with the biggest back seat, trunk and fins that they have ever seen!

So, on with the show!  I know some very nice people that have some truly beautiful restored cars, and I admire so very much about them (Both cars and people!), but they are not me.  I just enjoy it being "MY" car!

I guess I'd better go to bed now, it's getting late.

Joe Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan