Re: [FWDLK] '57, '58 Dodge production

I PM'ed Paul, to apologize about saying anything definitive about 300's,
but, Paul, can you give us any info on the AAA sanctioned racing, for
1957?

As far as NASCAR is concerned Kiekaefer had a bit of a feud with Bill
France, ostensibly regarding carburetion, IIRC.

K. DID order a D501, and took delivery of it around 4/8/57 (iirc); it
was a Coro hardtop, but built on a convertible frame. The car was never
campaigned, & its whereabouts/disposition is unknown to me.

Meanwhile, the car companies agreed, during a
NASCAR meeting on 6/6/57 (WAY after the racing season began, in JAN/FEB
'57) to terminate their official sponsorship- participation  of stock
car racing.

So, K.'s non-involvement in NASCAR racing, early-on in the racing season
may have been due to his having become tired of the hassle and/or
expenses involved in funding his racing teams, in relation to the
advertising benefits which would have accrued therefrom, and he might
have liked the idea of having a "feud" with NASCAR,  in order to have an
excuse to end his association with  organised racing events.

In other words, if he had really wanted-to, K. would have had at least 5
months to have participated in NASCAR racing before the "factories"
officially agreed to terminate their above-the-table sponsorship of
organised racing.

Neil Vedder