Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:07 AM
Subject: [FWDLK] Kiekhaefer and NASCAR

Two weeks ago I was talking with Chrysler engineer Burt Bouwkamp at a reunion of Chrysler Institute (of Engineering) graduates from 1950-52.  My 300F Special Gran Tourismo was displayed.  Burt was the chief engineer of the GT project.  He had also been the primary liaison to Carl Kiekhaefer's racing program from the factory.

It is certainly true that Kiekhaefer and Bill France of NASCAR did not get along.  At all.  Kiekhaefer's personality was such that he didn't get along with most people though, as is well documented in the semi-biography  "Iron Fist".  Burt felt that the relationship between NASCAR generally and CK was the primary reason CK left NASCAR.  Many other things contributed.

The 1957 Chryslers and Dodges had less room in their rear wheel wells for wide tires and of course CK had been widening wheels and using large footprint tires.
The '57 300s had particular aerdynamic problems in their windshield 'eyebrow' and their headlamp pods and CK knew this would hurt them at speed and complained vehemently to the president of Chrysler.
Torsion bar suspension intruded on what CK would have liked to have done with exhaust systems.
Chrysler wasn't in business to build race cars.

But the nail in the coffin of CK's racing efforts came from the Internal Revenue Service.  I've spoken at length with Bill Fenrich, CK's head dyno man and best welder who was at the dyno with a race '57 392 running when Kiekhaefer walked into the room and said "Shut it down Bill, we're not going racing."  He had just been told by his accountants that the IRS was adamant they were no longer going to allow the million dollar expense of the auto racing program as an advertising write-off against CK's Mercury Marine outboard motor corporation profits.

Kiekhaefer had ordered three '57 300Cs up to that point.  In correspondence with the factory he names them "Road America competition models".  The first was pretty much a standard production car ordered early for testing.  The second two were hardtops built on convertible frames that had factory boxed front and rear crossmembers.  They had the 390HP engine but with torqueflite transmissions.  They were both well optioned cars with power windows and power seats.  Photos exist at Mercury Marine and in my archives of one of these two cars during early experimentation with huge up-curving headers that then dumped in the wheelwells to side pipes under the rockers.  A '56 dual quad intake is employed.  Carl had a thing for Holley carburetors and through a contact at Dodge had copy inserted into factory literature that Holleys were optional for the '57 Chrysler 300.  The Holley "teapot" carb required the narrow bolt pattern of the '56 intake.

Carl Kiekhaefer wasn't going NASCAR oval racing in '57 but there was, at the time, a short-lived NASCAR road racing schedule.  CK was also heavily interested in sports cars and the Road America track at Elkhart Lake, WI, was under an hour's drive from the main Mercury plant in Fond du Lac and about an hour from Mercury plant #6 in Oshkosh which had been "the race car plant" during 1955 and 1956.  There would have been Chryslers in the Road America NASCAR race in June of '57 but Bill France cancelled the whole series shortly before the race.  A question for history is whether he had found out Kiekhaefer was coming!

The only surviving Road America race car is currently finishing restoration.  It is special order Charcoal Gray, the color of one of Mercury's newly introduced performance outboard motors for '57.  I'm the owner.

Wayne Graefen