[FWDLK] READING AND DREAMING VS "THE REAL WORLD"

[FWDLK] READING AND DREAMING VS "THE REAL WORLD"

 Guys, Guys, Guy,

         All this technical talk on drag racing gives me a headache. It was not complicated back in the 50's. I could take one car and let 6 guys race it and get 6 different elapse times in the quarter mile. The driver had much, much more to do with drag racing then the technical little things y'all are talking about. Most Mopar's got beaten on the drag strip because they had 3.31 or 3.36 rear end gears and very few had Sure Grip. The ones who changed their rear ends and went to Sure Grip ran much better. Skinny tires that did not bite...... Wrong!  Everybody ran Atlas Bucrons or Firestone Butaliers which were super soft and gave you about 10,000 miles before they wore out.  They also had tires called " Cheater Slicks". They gave so much traction that you would have to rev a stick shift car up an extra 600 to 1000 RPM over your normal starting RPM'S because if you didn't they would bite so well your car would stall right on the starting line. Nobody talked about spending all day and most of the night studying the starter with his flag and learning to read him and his little idiosyncrasies. No one mentioned studying the Christmas tree and getting the feeling of comfort you needed to have an edge on that starting light system. No one talked about the good lane on the strip and the bad lane as far as traction and timing  goes. No one talked  about feathering the throttle off the line and punching it 30 feet out so you lost no time spinning your tires, if you did spin the street tires.
No one mentioned the shift point of the cars and how to improve it by changing the shift points and bring your quarter mile time down. No one mentioned tire pressure high in the front and low in the back. No one mentioned cranking the torsion bars up a little on '57 and later cars so the weight transfer already took place with the front up and the back down and the car would move out faster with better traction. No one mentioned changing the jetting in the carburetors to meet the altitude change in different areas and different drag strips. And why, I say, why does everybody take for granted your car is getting full throttle when you floor it------Did you ever check it????? Do you know the correct way to check it??? No one mentioned the linkage to the automatic transmission which regulates the pressure of the shift you get at full throttle. No on mentioned the line pressure on the transmission and how the pressure can be adjusted up for much quicker shifts. I could go on and on and on and on------but I think maybe you get the point? Drag racing back then was not done with just a slide rule, calculator or a COMPUTER. The guys that tested the cars for the magazines were really nice guys but sorta nerds that pushed pencils and took photos. About 95% of the road test were done by Magazines with cars that had no tachometer!!!!!! Unheard of on a drag strip!!!!
 How good were you at racing your car a day or two after you got it??? Most of them only had the cars for the weekend.
     The "All Chrysler Nationals Show" in Carlisle Pennsylvania has arrangements with Quarter Aces Drag Strip to use the strip for it's Chrysler cars coming in for the show. No, it won't hurt your car to drag it. Besides, it is not even a full quarter mile ------it is 3/16th  strip, which means you might get up to 60 or 70 MPH. It is a fun place, where it is not all talk.... you actually go out and have fun while you're learning. I won more than 224 competition drag races and never knocked a singe transmission out. Now I wore a few out, but never knocked one out, and most of my Mopar's were automatic. I will be taking my 56 Fury, that set all kind of records in the 50's to the drag strip at the " All Chrysler Cars National Show in Carlisle and I will be running it on the drag strip. Today it has been restored back to 100% stock and all modification for the drag strip that I had on it in the 50's, have been removed. Will some of you join me???? Or is it more fun to just talk about it. I can't wait to see a bunch of 50's and 60's cars on the drag strip at that meet. I will be taking photos like there is no tomorrow. Come on, you only live once, have some fun and come to the REAL drags. Put down those hot rod books and stop dreaming and join me in the real world with your beautiful Mopar's on the drag strip. Most stock cars turn about 10 to 12 second in the 3/16th of a mile so it is more fun than high speed. Got any questions on coming to the drags, write me. If you do join me at the strip, I know you will be smiling all the way home when you leave the show.
 Oh, and if I hear " man on the street one more time I am going to scream". In 1956 it was a still a big deal if you had a V8, if you had a 4 bbl and duals it was really special and rare. If you had a Plymouth Fury, or a Dodge D 500 you really had something special.  Guys------only car guys ordered these cars. If I guy bought a D 500-1 he was really a car guy and if he filled out all the papers for Daytona Beach Racing he was prepared, really prepared. A lot of those guys brought their own mechanics. Please cut that man on the street crap. Times were different back then. Car guys raced and you got a place in the pecking order. They did not read magazines written by guys who were educated to become writers who tested cars to get out of the office. These guys would not like the color of a car and they would bad mouth it in a clever educated way. The rule of thumb back then was if your car didn't run and it was a dog-----then you'd better be able to really bullshit, because you were not bringing the gold home every weekend. Did you ever notice the loser of a drag race has much more to say then the winners??? I do not mean to offend anyone but the guys that talk about their cars and how fast they are, never, never have a bunch of photos of their car on the drag strip; they never have trophies sitting all over the place or even photos of their trophies and they have no certified time cards to show their record breaking elapse times on the drag strip. So out come the magazines and the bench racing begins, but it is not real. Sorry, it is not real. Take your car to the drag strip and run it and see what it will turn in the quarter mile. Take photos of it on the strip, take video of it on the strip, let us hear the roar of your dual quads scream----------then you will be talking cars in the real world. When I was a kid I bought and read and almost memorized every car book I could get on American high performance cars. There was one and only one guy who  ran road test for a magazine and knew his shit  and was a car guy, his name was Tom McCahill and he worked for Mechanix Illustrated magazine. ( Google his name and read about him) Motor Trent was also reliable when it came to road test.  I have hundreds and hundreds of official time slips from at least 9+ different drag strips on the East Coast.  I would bet that the guys that have wrote about what happens on the drag strip were never there except in their own minds while reading a car book. ( ok, maybe they were there watching once or twice) In the future you will never see or hear of them on a drag strip, because they would not know how to explain that their super powered head jerking tire ripping cars best times would be approx. 17 seconds in the quarter mile. In the real world 16 seconds was fast back then. 15 seconds was really really fast and 14 seconds was almost unbelievable for a stock anything. So the D 500-1 and the D 501 and the Fury's and Chrysler 300's were very fast at 15.50 to 16.20 on the drag strip-----but guys, PLEASE  DO NOT say you heard of a 13 second or a 12 second run with a 56 and 57 Super stock anything. It didn't happen, I am not telling you what I read,  I was there when drag racing started and I still have hundreds of time cards and print outs of the winners and their elapse times which were printed every week in Drag News, etc. You want to hear a wild true story? One day I will e mail the list of how I won 5 out of 7 official drag strip races with my ole 1959 DeSoto Adventure---------and the announcer said over the loud speakers " Wow, who ever heard of a fast DeSoto.-----Yeah, and I got at least one photo of that too. In closing I want to say again I do not mean to offend anybody or talk down to anybody because we are all Mopar guys and I think y'all are a great bunch of guys. But being blessed with ADD  and being a OBSESSIVE CONPULSIVE  personality  with a super memory I have seen much over the years and remember most of it. In closing I will repeat what a very wise old man of drag racing once said" The winners find a reason to compete on the drag strip and the losers find a excuse to not compete on the drag strip".

                Ron Allyn Swartley

 56 Plymouth Fury  ( stock ) Automatic
 56 Plymouth Fury ( 392 Hemi from 300 D full race ) stick
 58 Plymouth Fury  350 Golden Commando Automatic
 65 Dodge Dart GT  soon to be Hemi powered
 70 Plymouth Superbird  440 +6 pak
 78 Chrysler Cordoba 440 High performance
Non Chrysler Products
56 Pink Cadillac previous owned by Elvis Presley
70 Lincoln Mark V Triple White trimmed in gold- previously owned by Elvis Presley
76 Harley Davidson Motorcycle  1600 cc previously owned by Elvis Presley
2 Lincoln Towncar's---daily drivers