Re: [FWDLK] The REST of the Story...

Hey Everyone, I am sure that my car is not in prime shape so I am under no illusions that I will be setting records or confirming them. To tune and get the proper set up requires more monetary effort than I can give, at least right now. My car is over 50 and only the engine and trans are rebuilt. The rest of the car is in excess of 110K and original. Most Experts who have looked at the car feel it is better to leave it as it is rather than restore it as it has gotten "this way" thru use and time. More survivor than most survivors because it has been driven and  driven and Driven more and is still intact. To get a fifty year old carb to perform at a high level takes many hours. Many hours more are needed to balance dual quads and further combine this with my OD which requires full throttle and a momentary short of the ignition to complete a kickdown shift, well that alone is amazing undertaking and my Race Hemi can perform all day long without hesitation or backfire or chucking a rod or spinning a shell. I know more improvement can be made on the distributor, clutch etc. but this opens a whole frontier of recalibrating and so on and so on... For ME  I got it running within a window of drivability and have left it there for ten years, Changing only the plugs once. Over the years, with a bit of stupidity I have brought out the big whip spun big rpm and punished the 30 year old clutch yet it stood up and never failed to bring adrenalin and smiles to friends and acquaintances faces. But always this felt like I was asking my granpa to play in a tackle football game. My only and very "informal" match race was against a 67 Nova coupe with a 327 4spd and it was in great running shape. I definitely had my doubts but to even my amazement I blew right by him once in second gear. Funny how after the crowds intial amazement the insueing wisdom was to quickly dismiss the surprise,  because after all having a Hemi in my car made the race sorta like unfair. It seems like this is a recurring theme of onlookers with a progression of feelings: no initial respect, closer look, more interest, disbelief, and finally after demonstration  respect and acceptance. It has become so predictable I have created a cool orchestrated demonstration, the pipes have mega percusion and it wakes from a seemingly tame Idol, a quick rap to only 3 grand sends folks scattering at car shows only to return giggling with a newfound respect for the MR. Hyde which has just exploded from the mild mannerd Dr Jeckyl they thought they were hangin' with. All this is theater and won't get you a time slip but this is My World and it has been a Full On Hoot   .  Back to the REAL WORLD  for the guys who feel the record must be backed up with runs from today, well it is going to a lot of work to get the kind of results that would be indicative of the cars capabilities when new. We will need some time on the DYNO like Danny Eames  Carl Kiekhaefer and most pro competitors got and lets go ahead and return the 110k chassis to a near new condition. You look at the Bob Osieki Dyno photo and he had a set up that dyno tuned the engine and its trans assembled, why mess around lets just get a chassis Dyno. Anyone who wants to see my car to 56 Standards for pro competition bring your cash and time and I'll bring the car and time, yah right, you and I both know this won't happen. The REAL WORLD........  I'll just impress the people who go to the local car show with the Dr Jeckyl Mr Hyde show and after they have seen something new I'll talk CARS with a lot happy CAR people.