Re: [FWDLK] The Testies......

Title: [FWDLK] The Testies......
Go Neil !
 In case you want some numbers to try in the software for a practice case...
If I remember anywhere near correctly, my old 1969 Road Runner was full interior
car with 4 speed, and 4.56:1 gears to run 12.2 at Quaker City Dragstrip in Ohio.
With 3.90 gears it ran 12.6's all day. There is a gear change comparison for you.
Altitude probably around 1200 feet.  The car had a 383 with stock pistons, mildly
worked stock casting heads, a Crower Monarch cam, lifter, and valve spring kit. It
had Hooker Competition headers, open for that run, an Edelbrock aluminum
intake with a 1050 cfm Holley, and an aluminum flywheel with a Rev-Lock clutch
and pressure plate designed for an aluminum flywheel. The distributor was tweaked.
It used a Holley electric fuel pump feeding to the stock fuel pump.
The car had 9" slicks on it at that time. I "recall" it was a little over 400 horsepower.

I wanted to lighten the car, but my partner didn't. Removing around 100 pounds
was probably possible, and would have reduced ET by around a tenth. We were
carrying the stock exhaust, mufflers and all, even though uncorked. The interior was
also stock, with rear seat in place.  It was to appear as stock as possible.

This car was never beaten by any Ford. We raced a Boss 429 Mustang twice.
A 442 was trailered in from Akron and we blew it away.
We were only beaten by a big block 69 Chevelle running two-fours, a big block
Camaro (factory race-car), and a small block 1956 Chevy that rev'd like a monster.
We used the 383 and not a 440 because of our ability to rev high and quickly.

But.

Today, it is another ball game. I attended the Hot Rod Magazine drags as a crew
person for my buddy's 528 Hemi 1969 Barracuda. Three years ago, he finished tenth.
This year, a bad run (it got squirrely and almost hit the wall) stopped us from qualifying,
after the tech inspection ruled we had to find new, smaller, slicks. We could get little grip.
Our car, and the others, street cars, are now running in the 9's !!!

How ?  Blowers and / or nitrous are usually found on these babies.
Race transmissions. Cages and Sub-frames for rigidity. No where near stock set-ups.
The 528 Hemi in the Barracuda is putting out over 800 horsepower with a little spray.

Tom S
southern Ohio