[FWDLK] The Testies......

Well,  so far we've had:

stories and claims & counter-claims

a 15.45 C Gas (modified) quarter mile time-
posting, for a 1956 D500-1 drag race car

1956 & 1957 Speed Week trials results, for the Flying Mile, and Standing
Mile (on hard beach sand)

magazine road tests of similar, but less powerful cars (1956 & 1957)

a computer program for scientific-wild-ass- guessing 1/4 mile times
(dependent upon variable  (un-)scientific and/or (in-)accurate  inputs )

G Force scientific performance recording system ( very accurate, but
reflecting a  car's modifications  from OEM,  or, from  car-to-car)

In regards to the above computer progarm  for estimating 1/4 mile time,
a  primary criteria for  any scientific study is for the case results to
be repeatable, or for additional test results to be predictable.

Accordingly, I believe that   PUBLISHED 1/4 mile acceleration results
should  be able to be used  to test the computer's accuracy, in
predicting another  car's 1/4 mile time, in relation to the inputting of
certain actual real-world data into the computer program.

Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and Sports Cars Illustrated were  good enough to
weigh their test cars, so, their real-world car data should be inputed
to the computer program, to see how well the program would  predict  the
real-world test results that the magazines recorded.

I'm not gonna input these test cars' data, or, mention the 1/4 mile
times that were recorded, just to see what results you confuser-wizards
might come up with, via that  computer program.

Of course, you could go look up the magazine results, but, that would be
'cheating'.

So, the 1956 CRL 2-dr HT D500 with 260 "advertised" horspower, but 132
dynamometer-recorded rear wheel HP, weighed 3880 lbs, and had 28"
diameter tires  (I called-around, today, and confirmed that the 1956
7.60x15" tires had virtually the same o.a. height as the 8.50x14" 1957
tires) . It had a 2-speed PowerFlite, with 2.5 Low and 1.3 Second gears,
and 3.73:1 open rear end.

A 1957 Custom Royal 4-dr sedan had 285 "advertised" HP, but 140 rear
wheel HP, and weighed 4530 lbs. and 28" tires, with the TorqueFlite
having 2.45, 1.45 & 1.00 x converter ratio; 3.36:1 open rear end.

A 1957 Coronet 2-dr HT D500 S.C.I.  weighed at 3920 lbs, but, its rear
wheel HP was not dyno'ed (say: 150-160, due to the car's  lighter
weight) but the same trannie, rear end, and tires. You can also input
the 140HP that Motor Trend recorded if you like, because we KNOW what
e.t. S.C.I. actually recorded, for this car!

If realistic 1/4 mile predictions can come out of the computer program,
based upon the above data, and/or from more car-test-data, which is
available, we might  be closer  to solving the problem of calculating a
car's performance capability!

Neil Vedder