Re: [FWDLK] what's your bottom dollar?

I've been a claims adjuster since 1974, so I know a bit about
negotiation.

It's always easier to negotiate with other peoples' money, than your
own.

"He-Who-wants-it-more: Loses"  . If you want to sell your thing more
than he wants to buy it, you come down in price. If he wants to buy
'it', more than you want to sell it, he comes up.

As a seller, you have 4 options:

1) I dunno what's this worth, make me an offer

2) $x, or best offer

3) stated price, by itself

4) stated "Firm" price

What you're selling, your knowledge about its worth or market value, ,
the general-relative quality/rarety of the item, your immediate market
for the object, and your desire to sell the object, quickly-or-not , all
play into which selling ploy you take.

THEN: there's the buyers ploys:

1) What are you doing, there,  with MY item?

2) negotiate, with interest, and then say (as a back-out ploy, or as
brinksmanship): Well, I gotta go talk this over with my wife, etcetcetc,
and leave em hanging for a lower offer, or not
(allowing for buyer's remorse to avail itself, before committing
yourself)

3) What's your 'best' price (cracking the ice, but encouraging a
higher-opening figure)

4) Will you take $x (that's an offer, instead of asking for the seller's
opening/best price)

5) I can only spend (up to) $x  (true or not---an old trick is to carry
money all over your body , or  under the table) and then pull out as
much as you want to DISPLAY, from any particular pocket) , because money
on-hand TALKS, and will often close a deal.

6) Take it or Leave it (about as rigid,  as Seller's ploy #4, above)

7) financing/buying terms ( a "structured" settlement---which is usually
better for the buyer)

As you can see, the guy with the money usually holds a better 'hand',
than does the seller, but, not always.

A book can, and have, been written on the negotiation of each ploy,
above, from the seller's and the buyer's position on the bargaining
table .

Generally, a good negotiator wants the other side to think that it has
acheived a monetary advantage, or, possibly a win:win (or even, in
insurance terms, a lose:lose settlement) ...depending upon the
bargaining situation and motivation at hand.

So, there IS no pat-answer, to anything: lay out the parameters of the
bargaining (face-to-face; voice-only, ebay/auction/intermediaries ) and
the APPARENT motivations of the two, or MORE,  parties involved in the
buying/selling bargaining, and which side of the table you're sitting
on, and I could give  some specific advice.

Neil Vedder