From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Jack Lewis
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:30 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] '56 D-500 2x4 Air Cleaners

Neal is correct on the D500-1 factory air cleaner.  From the outside, it
looks
like one big round air cleaner that covers the two 4bbls, has a separate
base
plate and uses a paper element.  The same air cleaner was used on the
factory Grand National optioned '56 Fury "High Performance" option.  The
Fury
also could be had with the "dealer installed" optional 2X4 bbl, but this
option
featured the cast iron intake (as opposed to Grand National aluminum) with
chrome, louvered air cleaners that were of the same source of manufacturer
as used by the '56 Corvette with 2X4 option.  I suspect D500 owners could
also get a "Dealer Installed" option as well.  I photographed an original
owner
D500 at the Chrysler 300 National in Tennessee in '93 and it had the
Corvette
louvered air cleaners for what that may be worth.  For those who attended
Tulsarama, there was a restored Lee Petty '56 Dodge D500-1 race car in the
Exhibit Hall car show.  It had the Factory Air Cleaner described above.  I
took
some photos of the car and a close up of the air cleaner - due to the indoor
timed exposure in that part of the hall, my photos aren't crisp, but, good
enough to show what we're talking about.  If anyone is interested, email me
and I will return a jpeg of it.

Jack Lewis