Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] D 500 air cleaners

Um, we may not want to start a flame war here... by getting into persons and personalities.

We don't know if the restorer and/or the seller and/or B-J or all of the above is responsible for the misrepresentation.

I'm with you guys on misrepresentation of major components.  And there are getting to be fewer folks who really know the difference.  History is written by the victor [Adolph Hitler] and some of what passes for fact is mostly fiction.  Or, as real estate people call it, "puffing."

I hate to agree with Neil [?-not really!] but B-J and others are 21st century camel traders.  "Let the buyer beware," in Latin "caveat emptor" if you like fancy words, is still the law of the land.

One man's pain is another's pleasure.  Myself, I don't give a flying fig if heater hoses are properly date-coded or clamped on with stainless straps or bailing wire.  I like to drive my cars and don't want to be stranded in the desert when my 100-point factory hose clamp starts to leak.  Besides, they're a PITA to get on and off.  The first thing my Dad did with his MoPars was to change those clamps at the first flushing.  [Remember, back in the
F-L days spring and fall coolant service was the norm.]

Thick clearcoat bothers me, but I've got a couple [XXXX] [censored other brand] cars where you can get all the NORS parts you want out of a catalog, pretty picky judges, and clearcoat is now accepted with no point deduction.

That brings up another point, as long as the resale value of MoPars is relatively lower there will be a number of us who won't be doing a 100-point restoration.  Sort of a chicken-and-egg thing whether B-J MoPars bringing big money raises the value of our number threes.

Well, back to my long weekend honeydew chores.  It'a a pleasant 40*F and dry here in the Pacific NW.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge