Re: [FWDLK] Tires for a '57 Chrysler....

Re: [FWDLK] Tires for a '57 Chrysler....

Short version, if you really don't like "non-bulging sidewalls" you'll need to get the original size bias ply tires.

If you're willing to compromise the looks for the perceived improved handling of radials, you can do so.

Here are some sites with tire comparisons:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevylist/tech/tire_size_conversion.htm

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The last one is really cool as it calculates the diameter and displays graphically. However it's for radials only.

If you're sold on Diamondbacks, go to their website:

http://www.dbtires.com/catalog2.htm

They have a 225/75R14 Diamondback II with 2.5" WWW, 27.2 height, 5.7" tread width for a 5 1/2" to 7" rim. [Not sure where you got the 215 and the 27.6" height.] 225/75R14 is the size the first chart recommends to replace either an 8.50 or 8.55 x 14 bias size.

There are folks who can spot a 15" rim from 20 feet away. Don't really see a reason to go that route to get a correct height.

The "75" is the aspect ratio; an 80 ratio is taller and skinnier, but AFAIK they're not readily available.

It's your car so you can do what you want. There are some of us folks who think that wires on anything newer than 1956 just don't look right, but that's just our opinion.

--Roger van Hoy, Washougal, WA, '55 DeSoto, '58 DeSoto, '56 Plymouth, '66 Plymouth, '41 Dodge

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Z" <sartana@xxxxxxx>