Re: [FWDLK] 58 Fury on eBay

OK: the remains of the car IS "junk", right now ($10K WORTH of junk, but "junk", nevertheless).

And, it has the potential of being (fully) restored, and thereby become a "car" which is worth tens of thousands
of dollars in value.

I wish that I could afford to restore it.

Neil Vedder

Michael Sutherland wrote:
Ok, "junk" is a heavily loaded term.  I didn't mean to imply that this car has no value (which I can see might be a proper definition of junk - thanks Bill K.).  However, any car that has lost its ability to take someone from point A to point B could also legitimately be described as junk, particularly if the owner deems it not worth the bother to fix.  It would be illegal to leave this Fury on a public street in most towns and cities across the nation.  Most neighborhood covenants would prohibit keeping this Fury outside, even on private property!  Until someone gets it running and driving again, it is junk.  I have paid lots of money for junk cars and nearly junk cars.  I have fixed a junk 58 Dodge coupe.  It is licensed and running and many people would still describe it as junk.  Up until the point that I can drive them again, I consider my non-driving cars as, collectively, a pile of junk.  That doesn't mean I would give them away or (Heaven forbid) crush them, but I !
wo!
 uld be justified in doing so.  There is a whole spectrum of junk cars too - from worthless to expensive.  I think Dave is right on the money; this car is a junk car and whether it has the incorrect busted engine or no engine at all has no bearing on its value.  If it had the correct busted engine, maybe it moves up in the spectrum of junk cars.