Re: [FWDLK] 58 Fury E-BAY #330201262949- sledging 300s

From: "Owen Grigg"

Your continuous sledging on the list, in this and previous mail of 300?s and 300 owners is getting rather boring. If you have a personal grievance with a particular person or persons hurting your Plymouth?s feelings, deal with it off list and move on.

I have met many great people through the 300 Club who appreciate ALL cars and they don?t need to hear this crap. So can it!

Owen

From:  Brent Burger

   Let me explain  .....

   58 Plymouth, .....  arguably one of the absolute best examples of FL design.

   59 300 E ?  ....  well, it might be a 300 and it might be rare, but it still has those yucked-up fins and hideous rear bumper.

   One car is stunning.  The other car, ... not so much.

   Given a choice between the two, I would choose the Plymouth hands down.

   B.

I am only going off the commentary off the list and my own position that people are free to do with their cars and money as they please - a direct reaction to the glib, pompous buttheads in the 300 Club who treat anyone with a "lesser" model as a fool restoring a "parts car".

     Mr. Grigg,

   As always, pleasant to hear from you.

   I clearly stated in the quote you included, people are free to do with their cars as they please.  I extend this logic to include speaking as they please about the subject at hand, as well.  Part of that whole "Yankeethink" about "freedom of speech".  Maybe this is foreign to you ?

   A 58 Plymouth is probably the most popular FL car ever produced.  Not only in the sense of stunning design balance, but also from public recognition - for which you are free to speculate as to the reasons it is so recognized.

  A 59 300, on the other hand, is not nearly so popular by reasons of rarity, public recognition, and I would argue it simple lacks the degree of looks the 58 Plymouth was blessed with.

  If you have a problem with this, come on stateside and walk the streets with photos of both and ask the common populace.

  Secondly, I have participated in a dozen clubs over the years.  Only one group has consistently had negative things to say about the cars and owners of those not part of their club ....  the fine guys in the 300 Club.  I have never heard a DeSoto guy telling a 300 fan they are only good as parts cars, nor a Dodge or Plymouth guy for that matter.  But I have heard this many times from 300 guys regarding DeSotos, Dodges, and Plymouths.  Now, perhaps this has not been your experience, and if so, I am happy for you.  However, this does not negate the experiences I have had and witnessed, and this is where we get into trouble.

  You see, Mr. Grigg, you are free to speak your mind as much as I.  If you have had outstandingly positive experiences with any and all 300 Club members, I cordially invite you to tell the world about those experiences.  That whole "free speech" thing again.

  However, the moment you or anyone else wants to tell me or anyone else they are to stop speaking as they wish, then it moves the conversation from sides being presented to one trying to silence the other.  Last I checked, this concept was only real popular with dictators and the like who wish to impose their thinking on others.  Your commentary leads me to believe you fit the mould perfectly of every bad experience I have had the displeasure to go through with certain 300 Club members.  A kind of "My opinion is more important that yours" approach.

  I urge you, Mr. Grigg, to enlighten us all on the good side of 300's and those who follow such pursuits.  Balance out the commentary I present.  That is your right.  I will not tell you to "can it", as it is no more my right to silence your opinions than it is yours to do likewise.

   And for the record, I have had the chance to enjoy a number of good experiences with 300 owners.  Remarkably, when this subject has come up, their response has been one of acknowledgement and apology for those in their group that they lamented "give us all a bad name".

   Those are MY experiences.

   Good day, Mr. Grigg.